Top ⇑

Honorably Discharged Veteran's Benefits

Please note several points regarding Veteran's benefits eligibility which are listed below:

  • Metropolitan will file with the government for all benefits which you may be eligible for.
  • A copy of the veteran's honorable discharge paper from the armed forces, along with a copy of government form DD-214 (in many instances this is on the back of the discharge), is required for Metropolitan to be able to complete all of the forms for the government benefits.
  • If the veteran's discharge papers are lost or missing, Metropolitan will file with the government to obtain a replacement copy for you.


  • An American Flag, to be displayed during the funeral and then to be presented to the family at the completion of the services.
  • An honor guard from the appropriate service branch can often be obtained to fold and present the American flag to the family and play Taps at the cemetery.
  • Free of charge certified copies of the death certificate are available, for either a veteran or their spouse if the death occurs in Pennsylvania. Free veteran's death certificates are mailed directly to the family by the State of Pennsylvania 6 to 8 weeks after an order is placed.
  • A small monetary benefit, which is available from each county in Pennsylvania if the veteran or deceased veteran's spouse meets the county residency requirements.
  • A free cemetery monument or marker provided by the Veterans Administration; many local cemeteries require a fee for the installation of this monument or marker.
  • Veterans who pass away during military service or due to military service related injuries may qualify for additional benefits.

Additional information and documentation of a veteran's record (discharge) can be obtained directly from the Department of Veterans Affairs office in Philadelphia:

Department of Veterans Affairs VAROIC Philadelphia
5000 Wissahickon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19101

or at the following web site: